So, we've been seriously working on our reading here in the Amini house, and the boys are doing so great with it. Last Saturday I took the kids to the library and we checked out tons of books, including one chapter book. The Boxcar Children was one of my favorite book series when I was young, so I wanted to introduce the children to it, and see what they think...
Tonight we read it for the first time. Oh. My. Goodness. They were eating it up! I finished chapter 1 and they BEGGED for more! I finished Chapter 2 and they said, "Pleeeeeeeease, just one more page!" I read one more page and stopped, and David took the book from me and proceeded to read the next two pages, independently. The book is "3rd grade level"! Don't get me wrong, he made some errors, but he was so excited he kept working through it. I was so overjoyed to see them loving reading, even without pictures! Even Bella was quiet and listening! Well, it was half an hour past bedtime so I told them that was all for now and Dave asked could he read a few more minutes in bed. :) Of course! How do you say "no" to that?! When I went back up he was on chapter 3 and said, "Mommy, they found a dog!"
It is sooooo good to see them learning! And such a joy to share with my children something that was a part of my own childhood, and to enjoy it with them. And, honestly? I can't wait to read the next part tomorrow...because I forgot what happens next :)
No comments:
Post a Comment